2018 Nationals Day 5 Update
We had a champagne sailing today at the Work’N’Store Australian 505 Championships, with 3 races in a steadily building easterly sea breeze starting at 6 knots increasing to 12. The big spinnakers on the 505 allowed fast planing on the downwind runs when the breeze came in.
Winners today were:
Race 6 – Jan Saugmann/Marcus Cooper
Race 7 – Mike Quirk/Joel Castle
Race 8 – Nigel Lott/Bob Franks
Current standings after 8 races:
1. Mike Holt/Rob Woelfel (current and 3 times world 505 champion skipper and previous world champion crew from USA)
2. Jan Saugmann/Marcus Cooper (2 times world 505 champion skipper from Denmark with local crew)
3. Mike Quirk/Joel Castle (multiple Australian 505 champion skipper and Lake Macquarie expert crew)
4. Mick Babbage/James McAllister ( previous Australian 505 champion skipper and crew)
5. Mal Higgins/Nick (Camel) Johston (multiple Australian Sharpie champion skipper and crew)
In 8 races there have been 6 different race winners which indicates the depth of competition in the fleet of 40 boats.
Of the 6 female sailors Christie Bowden (17th) crewed by Ian Gregg maintains a 3 place lead over Amy Lee crewed by Justin Mulkearns. Amy gave Christie a good run today in race 6 finishing 8th ahead of Christie’s 17th.
Tomorrow, Friday is the final day with a forecast of light winds and one last race.
Lots more pictures on the Facebook page, links on the right of this page.